At 10:15 am on Thursday, October 15, get ready to DROP, COVER & HOLD ON as Capilano University takes part in the annual province-wide earthquake drill called The Great British Columbia Shake Out or ShakeOut BC.
The drill provides an annual opportunity to practice how to stay safe during big earthquakes using the DROP, COVER and HOLD ON safety procedure:
- DROP to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!)
- Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk or table
- HOLD ON to it until the shaking stops
What happens during The Great British Columbia ShakeOut?
At 10:15 am on October 15:
- If you are sitting in front of a University networked computer, an earthquake drill message will appear on your screen.
- This same message will also appear on all digital monitors as part of the Campus Info Screen System.
- A voice broadcast message announcing the drill will be heard on all University landline phones.
- If you have downloaded the CapUSafe app on your iOS or Android device, you will receive push notifications to your phone, and an emergency alert will appear on the main screen of the app.
- If you will not be in the vicinity of any of these message delivery systems it will be up to you to monitor the time
- Handy tip: add ShakeOut BC to your computer calendars and program your mobile device alarms to participate in the DROP, COVER and HOLD ON drill at 10:15 am.
Hold your position and count to 60. After 60 seconds, the campus will return to normal operations with minimal disruption to classes, services and other activities.
THERE WILL BE NO EVACUATION DRILL.
- Information about ShakeOut BC is posted on the University’s website and the Campus Info Screens. Also, check out Capilano University’s Twitter feed and Facebook
- Visit Your Emergency Preparedness Guide and recommended Earthquake Safety Actions for tips on what to do.
- Do you know how to make your home safe during the earthquake? Take ShakeOut BC’s Drop Cover Hold On and check how prepared you are.
- Check out ShakeOut BC’s website for more tips, videos and resources.
Send your questions or comments to email@example.com.