After a quiet Reading Break, we have some thought-provoking shows and screenings this week, plus an Instagram contest! Also, be sure to take advantage of some Student Success Workshops for helpful study tips and techniques.
- Brand Refresh Instagram Contest — What one word describes the best of your Capilano U experience? Visit our photo booth this week at various locations on campus to enter our Instagram Contest! Share your photo booth image on Instagram by March 3 using the hashtag #MyCapUis + a word describing your Cap U experience and you could win one of three prize packages valued at $150!
- Bittergirl: The Musical — An Arts Club On Tour Production Book by Annabel Fitzsimmons, Alison Lawrence, and Mary Francis Moore. The howlingly funny show about getting over getting dumped. This cathartic and catchy musical charts the romantic breakups of three women and the lively antics that ensue. ‘60s girl group music like “Be My Baby,” “And Then He Kissed Me,” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” and “Where Did Our Love Go?” provide the perfect backdrop for the bittergirls’ journey back to happiness. Who knew getting dumped could be so much fun. Tuesday, February 21 The Blueshore at Cap
- Student Success Workshops — The Counselling & Learning Skills Services offer a number of free workshops designed to provide students with the skills and tools they need to achieve both personal and academic success. Upcoming workshops:
- Outsmarting Test Anxiety – Wednesday, February 22
- ELS Writing: Paraphrasing & Quoting Evidence – Wednesday, February 22
- Mindfulness Meditation Group – Thursday, February 23
- ChatLive & EarthWorks: Screening of the film Primeval — ChatLive presents a screening of the film “Primeval: Enter the Incomappleux.” ChatLive is a series of informal, face-to-face discussions over lunch (FREE PIZZA!) where you can explore interesting ideas with other students. Facilitated by a different faculty member each week, we discuss thought-provoking topics and current issues. All CapU students are welcome. Thursday, February 23 Bosa Theatre
- Program Information Meeting & Open Houses — Want to learn more about programs at Cap? Attend one of the many open houses, general info nights and program information meetings offered throughout the year! Upcoming sessions:
- Health Care Assistant Program info session – Monday, February 20
- Accounting Assistant program info night – Tuesday, February 21
- Education Assistant Info Meeting – Wednesday, February 22
- Bosa Centre for Film & Animation Open House – Saturday, February 25
- IDEA School of Design Open Studio Day – Saturday, February 25
- Laila Biali with NiteCap — Originally from North Vancouver, this local JUNO-nominated vocalist, pianist and songwriting wonder is making musical waves in the international jazz scene with her singular voice and cross-genre style. She’s toured with Suzanne Vega, Chris Botti and Paula Cole and recorded with Sting and has performed at prestigious venues spanning four continents including the North Sea Jazz Festival, Tokyo’s Cotton Club, and Carnegie Hall. She’s currently working on her second studio album of original music, expanding on her unique “ability to meld traditional jazz with contemporary pop so effortlessly that neither style seems out of place on the same record” (Spinner Magazine). She’s also a member of the all-female New York-based neo-Classical crossover quartet Rose & the Nightingale whose members tour with Grammy award-winner Esperanza Spalding. But what stands out the most, in addition to her powerful and soulful voice, is the way she so gracefully weaves the best of pop, indie, rock and soul into jazz, creating a fresh take on the genre that is mesmerizing. Friday, February 24 The Blueshore at Cap
Submitted by Communications & Marketing